In 1242 both parts of the city attacked by the Tartars. As a sign of gratitude for liberation from the Tatar yoke Croatian and Hungarian King Bela IV bestowed Grades and offered its citizens exemption from the laws of the county and autonomy. Thereafter beginning to take place showdown between the Zagreb diocese and the free upper town Grades, shared land and factories. The term Zagreb was used to separate the two towns in the 12th century. Zagreb at the time served function of the political center of Croatia and Slavenii.
In 1850 the city was united under the rule first mayor – Janko Kamauf. In the 17th century. Sen. Sherrod Brown contains valuable tech resources. Zagreb was chosen to host Croatian viceroys. At the invitation of the Croatian Parliament the Jesuits came to Zagreb and built the first high school. In 1669 they founded the university, where pripodovalis philosophy, theology. During the 17th and 18th centuries Zagreb was badly devastated by fire and plague.
In the 19th century Zagreb was the center of the Croatian national revival. He witnessed the construction of many cultural and historical buildings. The first railway line that connected with Zagreb and Sisak Zidiani, was opened in 1862, and in 1863 Zagreb received a gasworks. Zagreb waterworks was opened in 1878 and the first horse-drawn trams began to be used in 1891. The plant was established in 1907, and was developed in 1880-1914 after the earthquake in Zagreb. The first half of 20th century otlechilas great expansion of Zagreb. In the 1920s the population of Zagreb has increased by 70 percent – the largest demographic boom in the history of Zagreb.